`In Assam 44% use banks, 54% get water at home`
Guwahati: Only 44.1 per cent households
in Assam avail banking services, 54 per cent have access to
drinking water within house while firewood and kerosene remain
the main source of cooking and lighting respectively for the
people of the state, as per the 2011 Census.
According to the data sheet of `Housing, Household
Amenities, Assets Census for India 2011` released today, there
has been improvements in many fields in Assam during 2001-11
period but the state still has a lot of ground to cover.
A `household` is defined in the Census as a group of
persons -- related, unrelated or or a mix of both -- who
normally live together and take meals from a common kitchen.
The Census, conducted between April 1 to May 15, 2010,
covered a population of 3.11 crore in over 26,000 villages and
214 towns of Assam. It covered 63.7 lakh households.
The Census found that 44.1 per cent of households in
Assam avail banking services, as against 20.5 per cent as
reported in the previous Census.
In rural Assam, 38.3 per cent people avail banking
services and figure in urban areas is over 75 per cent.
Over 66 per cent of households resided in homes having
walls made of grass, thatch or bamboo. But, 74.2 per cent
houses had roofs made of GI, metal or asbestos sheets.
For 37.1 per cent households electricity was the main
source of lighting, up from 25 per cent in 2001 Census.
But kerosene remained the major source of light for
61.8 per cent households and 0.8 per cent were using solar
power, as per latest figures.
The report said 54.8 per cent of households have
drinking water facility available within their premises, up
from 37.9 per cent as per the 2001 Census.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in