Indefinite curfew clamped in Assam town after violent clashes
Tezpur (Assam): Indefinite curfew was clamped today in an area near the national highway in Bihguri in Sonitpur district following a clash between a cultural troupe and some youth.
Police lathicharged and fired teargas shells to control the mobs that destroyed many dwelling units of one particular community and set ablaze the house of the prime accused who, along with others, had fought with a Bihu team on their way to Tezpur for performance.
Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner Lalit Gogoi said curfew has been imposed in the areas near National Highway 15 in Bihaguri from noon today for an indefinite period.
The SP of the district Sanjukta Parasar said "the situation is under control now. Police had to fire tear gas shells and lathicharge to disperse the mob."
According to police officers, a Bihu party of Pasnoi area was on its way towards Tezpur for performing there last night.
When they halted at Bihaguri market for some time, the team got involved in a quarrel with a group of youth of the area, resulting in serious injuries to some members.
This morning, protesting against the incident and alleged bias of the police in apprehending the culprits involved, locals vandalised many houses of those accused people.
The mob also set ablaze the house of one person. Three persons allegedly involved in burning the house have been arrested, police source said adding some people have been picked up for questioning for their involvement in the fight with the cultural team but the main culprit is yet to be arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional