Indefinite curfew impose in Assam`s Rangapara
Tezpur: Indefinite curfew was clamped at Rangapara town in Assam`s Sonitpur district after police lathicharged protesters holding a road blockade demanding improvement of communication.
The agitators, comprising 25 organisations like CPI(M), AASU, AAMSU, DYFI, Ranagpara Chambers of Commerce and Rangapara Development Circle, were protesting against non- repair of the Misamari-Balipara road.
"After protesters refused to withdraw the blockade, we had to use force and there was a mild lathicharge. To control the situation, we have clamped an indefinite curfew in the town," Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner Lalit Gogoi told.
No one was injured, Gogoi said adding the curfew will continue till the situation is normal.
Indefinite road blockade had started on July 19 and has almost paralysed normal life of Rangapara town.
This morning some officials from the district administration met the protesters and urged them to withdraw the agitation, which the protesters refused until commitment on addressing the long pending public grievances was given.
The people of Rangapara have been suffering from deplorable road communication for long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video