Indefinite curfew in Assam`s violence-affected villages
Guwahati: Indefinite curfew continued in Chokihola area of Karbi Anglong district of Assam, where Karbi Peoples` Liberation Tiger (KPLT) militants killed four people on Friday, attacking a Naga village, setting fire and firing indiscriminately.
The Assam government rushed three companies of additional forces on Friday night to the affected areas so violence is contained and does not spread.
A group of armed KPLT militants attacked Khoaani village near Chokihola under Bokajan subdivision of the district at dawn Friday, setting some houses on fire. The militants started firing indiscriminately, killing four people instantly. Among those killed were three Naga women.
There is also a report that a Naga militant outfit, Rangma Naga Hills Protection Force (RNHPF), had retaliated and launched a counter-attack on the KPLT militants, killing two of the KPLT militants. However, their bodies have not been recovered so far, police said.
"We have imposed indefinite curfew in the affected areas. There are no fresh incidents of violence today," state Commissioner Secretary (Home) GD Tripathi said on Saturday.
"We have reviewed the situation today morning and search operation is on. However, we have not recovered the bodies of the KPLT militants," he said.
"Three relief camps have already been opened in Chokihola and Barpathar areas and about 500 people are taking shelter in the relief camps," he said, adding that the police and administration are trying to persuade affected people to return to their villages.
"We have intensified security arrangements in and around the affected areas. There is no need to panic and we are trying to convince the affected people to return to their villages at the earliest," Tripathi said, adding that indefinite curfew will continue for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid