Indefinite curfew in Assam`s violence-affected villages
Guwahati: Indefinite curfew continued in Chokihola area of Karbi Anglong district of Assam, where Karbi Peoples` Liberation Tiger (KPLT) militants killed four people on Friday, attacking a Naga village, setting fire and firing indiscriminately.
The Assam government rushed three companies of additional forces on Friday night to the affected areas so violence is contained and does not spread.
A group of armed KPLT militants attacked Khoaani village near Chokihola under Bokajan subdivision of the district at dawn Friday, setting some houses on fire. The militants started firing indiscriminately, killing four people instantly. Among those killed were three Naga women.
There is also a report that a Naga militant outfit, Rangma Naga Hills Protection Force (RNHPF), had retaliated and launched a counter-attack on the KPLT militants, killing two of the KPLT militants. However, their bodies have not been recovered so far, police said.
"We have imposed indefinite curfew in the affected areas. There are no fresh incidents of violence today," state Commissioner Secretary (Home) GD Tripathi said on Saturday.
"We have reviewed the situation today morning and search operation is on. However, we have not recovered the bodies of the KPLT militants," he said.
"Three relief camps have already been opened in Chokihola and Barpathar areas and about 500 people are taking shelter in the relief camps," he said, adding that the police and administration are trying to persuade affected people to return to their villages.
"We have intensified security arrangements in and around the affected areas. There is no need to panic and we are trying to convince the affected people to return to their villages at the earliest," Tripathi said, adding that indefinite curfew will continue for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj