Indefinite curfew relaxed in Goalpara
Goalpara (Assam): The indefinite curfew in two areas of Assam`s Goalpara district was relaxed on Wednesday for seven hours with the situation remaining peaceful.
The curfew was relaxed from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm in Forest Gate and Mailapathar areas, officials said.
Markets, shops, banks and other establishments remained open during the curfew relaxation period, they said.
Four people were killed in mob violence and police firing on Monday following the recovery of the body of a missing cowherd near Rakshashini forest in Mailapathar.
Police had opened fire, which left two dead, after the mob attacked and injured five policemen, including SP S P Saikia and his deputy Debojit Nath.
Yesterday bodies of two more persons, missing since Monday`s violence, were recovered from Mailapathar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note