Indefinite fast by tribals on Meghalaya-Assam bord
Shillong: Tribal activists on an indefinite fast since June 29 at the Meghalaya-Assam border for an early settlement to the boundary problem between the two states, Thursday demanded a joint assurance from both states.
The agitators, led by Pynshkemlang Nongshlong, rejected a written assurance from the Meghalaya government saying it had taken up the matter with the Centre and sought its `immediate` intervention and engaging the states for an early solution to the vexed problem.
We want a joint assurance from the Chief Ministers of both Meghalaya and Assam, he told newsmen at Langpih village.
The fast is being held at Langpih near the place where four youths were shot dead by Assam police during a clash in 2010.
The assurance signed by F Kharlyngdoh, secretary in the political department of Meghalaya, also said a special development package had been initiated for the areas bordering Assam, which is expected to be sanctioned expeditiously.
Kharlyngdoh said the state government had `re-strategised` its approach for a favourable settlement of this issue.
Obstruction by Assam officials to construction activities such as extension of individual dwelling units and community infrastructure would also be taken up,` he said adding the entry of new settlers to Langpih area since 2010 in violation of the 2010 chief ministers agreement would also be discussed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray