Inquiry ordered on free movement of prisoners
Guwahati: Following recent reports in section of the press about alleged movement of prisoners of Guwahati Central Jail outside the jail premises and use of various illegal facilities by some prisoners, the administration on Wednesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the issue.
"The District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) District has ordered a magisterial inquiry on the news item of alleged free movement of the prisoners of central jail, Guwahati, outside the jail premises and also providing VIP treatment to prisoners by the jail authority," an official statement said.
The inquiry would be conducted by Additional District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) Mrinal Gogoi who would submit the report to the District Magistrate.
However, the time-frame for submission of the report has not been stated officially.
Speaking to reporters, Assam Minister for Social Welfare and Jails Akon Bora said there have been reports about movement of prisoners outside but there was no proof so far.
"The inquiry has been instituted to find the veracity of the reports. We want to ensure that such things, if true, do not take place," he said, adding that as per rules, such type of movements are illegal and nobody would be allowed to break them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India