Inquiry ordered on free movement of prisoners
Guwahati: Following recent reports in section of the press about alleged movement of prisoners of Guwahati Central Jail outside the jail premises and use of various illegal facilities by some prisoners, the administration on Wednesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the issue.
"The District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) District has ordered a magisterial inquiry on the news item of alleged free movement of the prisoners of central jail, Guwahati, outside the jail premises and also providing VIP treatment to prisoners by the jail authority," an official statement said.
The inquiry would be conducted by Additional District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) Mrinal Gogoi who would submit the report to the District Magistrate.
However, the time-frame for submission of the report has not been stated officially.
Speaking to reporters, Assam Minister for Social Welfare and Jails Akon Bora said there have been reports about movement of prisoners outside but there was no proof so far.
"The inquiry has been instituted to find the veracity of the reports. We want to ensure that such things, if true, do not take place," he said, adding that as per rules, such type of movements are illegal and nobody would be allowed to break them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical