Inquiry ordered on free movement of prisoners
Guwahati: Following recent reports in section of the press about alleged movement of prisoners of Guwahati Central Jail outside the jail premises and use of various illegal facilities by some prisoners, the administration on Wednesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the issue.
"The District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) District has ordered a magisterial inquiry on the news item of alleged free movement of the prisoners of central jail, Guwahati, outside the jail premises and also providing VIP treatment to prisoners by the jail authority," an official statement said.
The inquiry would be conducted by Additional District Magistrate of Kamrup (Metropolitan) Mrinal Gogoi who would submit the report to the District Magistrate.
However, the time-frame for submission of the report has not been stated officially.
Speaking to reporters, Assam Minister for Social Welfare and Jails Akon Bora said there have been reports about movement of prisoners outside but there was no proof so far.
"The inquiry has been instituted to find the veracity of the reports. We want to ensure that such things, if true, do not take place," he said, adding that as per rules, such type of movements are illegal and nobody would be allowed to break them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!