`Issue job cards to Bangladeshi immigrants sans rights`
Guwahati: A civil society group in Assam on Thursday asked the government to issue job cards to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants staying in the state but without any rights to vote, higher education and land purchasing power.
The group `Assam Public Works` (APW), which has been fighting a case at the Supreme Court regarding updation of correct voter lists since 2009, also supported updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) taking 1971 as the base year.
"We have to be realistic. An estimated one crore Bangladeshi people are living in Assam illegally at present. It is impossible to send back them. So, we want the government to give them job cards, but without any rights," APW president Aabhijeet Sharma told a news agency here.
He said the illegal immigrants should not get voting rights and they should not be allowed to take the benefit of higher eduction, besides prohibiting purchasing of land.
"As per the government`s own data, about 41 lakh Bangladeshi people vote in Assam currently. This is a serious issue. In fact, one major political party in the state assembly is formed with the help of these votes," Sharma alleged.
APW, which mostly consists of local businessmen, said it supports the updation of NRC taking 1971 as the base year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray