Journalist assaulted by coal mafia in Assam
Sibsagar: A reporter of a private TV news
channel was attacked and severely injured by the coal mafia in
upper Assam`s Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Police said reporter Bipin Hazarika had gone to Geleki
town to collect information on illegal open cast mining of
coal when he was attacked by a group of people suspected to be
involved with the coal mafia.
Hazarika was seriously injured in the attack and his
camera snatched away, the police said, adding, the assailants
fled away after the incident.
He was shifted to the civil hospital here and doctors
described his condition as stable.
Meanwhile, the Indian Journalists Union(IJU) has
condemned the incident and the assault of a photojournalist by
a ruling party MLA inside Meghalaya assembly in Shillong and
demanded exemplary punishment to the culprits.
IJU secretary Geetartha Pathak urged the authorities to
book the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31