Journalist assaulted by coal mafia in Assam
Sibsagar: A reporter of a private TV news
channel was attacked and severely injured by the coal mafia in
upper Assam`s Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Police said reporter Bipin Hazarika had gone to Geleki
town to collect information on illegal open cast mining of
coal when he was attacked by a group of people suspected to be
involved with the coal mafia.
Hazarika was seriously injured in the attack and his
camera snatched away, the police said, adding, the assailants
fled away after the incident.
He was shifted to the civil hospital here and doctors
described his condition as stable.
Meanwhile, the Indian Journalists Union(IJU) has
condemned the incident and the assault of a photojournalist by
a ruling party MLA inside Meghalaya assembly in Shillong and
demanded exemplary punishment to the culprits.
IJU secretary Geetartha Pathak urged the authorities to
book the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- IIFA 2016: Salman Khan spilling hotness in brand new hair-cut and elegant suit! – Pic inside
- Facebook hires top ex-Google executive for internet projects
- Want a better life? Practice these 5 habits – Watch video
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why