Journalist assaulted by coal mafia in Assam
Sibsagar: A reporter of a private TV news
channel was attacked and severely injured by the coal mafia in
upper Assam`s Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Police said reporter Bipin Hazarika had gone to Geleki
town to collect information on illegal open cast mining of
coal when he was attacked by a group of people suspected to be
involved with the coal mafia.
Hazarika was seriously injured in the attack and his
camera snatched away, the police said, adding, the assailants
fled away after the incident.
He was shifted to the civil hospital here and doctors
described his condition as stable.
Meanwhile, the Indian Journalists Union(IJU) has
condemned the incident and the assault of a photojournalist by
a ruling party MLA inside Meghalaya assembly in Shillong and
demanded exemplary punishment to the culprits.
IJU secretary Geetartha Pathak urged the authorities to
book the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'