Journalists in Assam demand banning of AAMSU
Tezpur: Journalists organisations of Sonitpur district in Assam on Friday demanded banning of the All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) and 30 other organisations for the attack on journalists during their statewide bandh on August 28.
Over 7000 people, comprising media persons and civil society members, took out a procession here and submitted a memorandum of their demands to the Governor and Chief Minister through the district Deputy Commissioner.
Condemning the attack on the scribes and injury to five journalists, the organisations also demanded that the journalist community be protected from such attacks in the future.
They also demanded the arrest of those responsible for the attack on the media persons.
Expressing concern over the communal disturbances affecting social harmony, the journalist organisations condemned such violence and urged the government to maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of people.
The journalist organisations included the Sonitpur Journalist Union, Journalist Federation of Assam, Sonitpur District Journalist Association and Sonitpur Press Club.
Meanwhile, 19 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence on the AAMSU bandh day when the vehicle of the Officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station was burnt down and the vehicles of Tezpur Deputy Commissioner and Circle Officer damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez