Journalists in Assam demand banning of AAMSU
Tezpur: Journalists organisations of Sonitpur district in Assam today demanded banning of the All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) and 30 other organisations for the attack on journalists during their statewide bandh on August 28.
Over 7000 people, comprising media persons and civil society members, took out a procession here and submitted a memorandum of their demands to the Governor and Chief Minister through the district Deputy Commissioner.
Condemning the attack on the scribes and injury to five journalists, the organisations also demanded that the journalist community be protected from such attacks in the future.
They also demanded the arrest of those responsible for the attack on the media persons.
Expressing concern over the communal disturbances affecting social harmony, the journalist organisations condemned such violence and urged the government to maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of people.
The journalist organisations included the Sonitpur Journalist Union, Journalist Federation of Assam, Sonitpur District Journalist Association and Sonitpur Press Club.
Meanwhile, 19 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence on the AAMSU bandh day when the vehicle of the Officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station was burnt down and the vehicles of Tezpur Deputy Commissioner and Circle Officer damaged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark