Journalists in Assam demand banning of AAMSU
Tezpur: Journalists organisations of Sonitpur district in Assam today demanded banning of the All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) and 30 other organisations for the attack on journalists during their statewide bandh on August 28.
Over 7000 people, comprising media persons and civil society members, took out a procession here and submitted a memorandum of their demands to the Governor and Chief Minister through the district Deputy Commissioner.
Condemning the attack on the scribes and injury to five journalists, the organisations also demanded that the journalist community be protected from such attacks in the future.
They also demanded the arrest of those responsible for the attack on the media persons.
Expressing concern over the communal disturbances affecting social harmony, the journalist organisations condemned such violence and urged the government to maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of people.
The journalist organisations included the Sonitpur Journalist Union, Journalist Federation of Assam, Sonitpur District Journalist Association and Sonitpur Press Club.
Meanwhile, 19 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence on the AAMSU bandh day when the vehicle of the Officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station was burnt down and the vehicles of Tezpur Deputy Commissioner and Circle Officer damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'