Journalists in Assam demand banning of AAMSU
Tezpur: Journalists organisations of Sonitpur district in Assam today demanded banning of the All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) and 30 other organisations for the attack on journalists during their statewide bandh on August 28.
Over 7000 people, comprising media persons and civil society members, took out a procession here and submitted a memorandum of their demands to the Governor and Chief Minister through the district Deputy Commissioner.
Condemning the attack on the scribes and injury to five journalists, the organisations also demanded that the journalist community be protected from such attacks in the future.
They also demanded the arrest of those responsible for the attack on the media persons.
Expressing concern over the communal disturbances affecting social harmony, the journalist organisations condemned such violence and urged the government to maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of people.
The journalist organisations included the Sonitpur Journalist Union, Journalist Federation of Assam, Sonitpur District Journalist Association and Sonitpur Press Club.
Meanwhile, 19 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence on the AAMSU bandh day when the vehicle of the Officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station was burnt down and the vehicles of Tezpur Deputy Commissioner and Circle Officer damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested