Journalists in Assam demand banning of AAMSU
Tezpur: Journalists organisations of Sonitpur district in Assam today demanded banning of the All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) and 30 other organisations for the attack on journalists during their statewide bandh on August 28.
Over 7000 people, comprising media persons and civil society members, took out a procession here and submitted a memorandum of their demands to the Governor and Chief Minister through the district Deputy Commissioner.
Condemning the attack on the scribes and injury to five journalists, the organisations also demanded that the journalist community be protected from such attacks in the future.
They also demanded the arrest of those responsible for the attack on the media persons.
Expressing concern over the communal disturbances affecting social harmony, the journalist organisations condemned such violence and urged the government to maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of people.
The journalist organisations included the Sonitpur Journalist Union, Journalist Federation of Assam, Sonitpur District Journalist Association and Sonitpur Press Club.
Meanwhile, 19 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence on the AAMSU bandh day when the vehicle of the Officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station was burnt down and the vehicles of Tezpur Deputy Commissioner and Circle Officer damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi
- After Kejriwal's dramatic video message, sacked AAP minister claims his life under threat from Delhi CM
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked
- Aung San Suu Kyi keen to visit India