KMSS has link with Maoists: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday alleged that the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, a farmers` organisation led by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi, had link with Maoist militants in the state.
"I suspect KMSS has link with the Maoists. I do not have any evidence on that, but I think it is close to the Maoists," Gogoi told a press conference here.
He, however, did not give any specific answer to the question whether the government was investigating the links between KMSS and Maoists or not.
"Investigation is going on or not, I cannot divulge anything," Gogoi said.
Asked why government is not taking any action against KMSS, the chief minister said: "Taking action is not so easy. you need evidence, and then the human rights issue. These all aspects are there."
Without naming KMSS, Gogoi said some over-ground Maoists are operating under the shield of anti-dam protests in the state.
KMSS is spearheading the series of protests against construction of big dams in Assam.
Gogoi also reiterated his old demand that the Centre declare nine districts of Assam as Maoist-affected.
"I said it five years ago that Maoists are present here, but nobody believed me. Now everyone is talking about it. I request the Centre again that nine districts should be declared Maoist affected."
If the Centre accepts the state government`s demand, additional funds will be coming to these districts, including Tinsukia, Jorhat, Lakhimpur and Nalbari, for implementing developmental work, he added.
He said that the Maoists had set up links with other insurgent groups in the Northeast besides ISI and Mujahideen.
"The common interest of all this is to destabilise the Indian democracy," Gogoi said.
Earlier this week, the Centre had claimed that Maoist extremists were trying to set up bases in upper Assam, close to international border, and this can create a "serious strategic security complication" to the Northeastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’