Lakhimpur case: SIT formed, post-mortem report says no rape
Boginadi/Guwahati: A Special Investigation Team was Thursday constituted by Assam government to probe the Lakhimpur `rape-and-murder` case even as the post mortem report of the victim stated that she was not raped.
The Assam police today also formally arrested an accused, who was detained by police yesterday, police sources said.
According to the sources, the woman`s post mortem report received today has stated that no rape was committed on her but she has suffered injuries on her head and near the eyes.
Raju Chetia, who was picked up by police yesterday on suspicion of his involvement in the incident, was arrested today under sections IPC 365 (kidnapping or abducting with intent secretly and wrongfully to confine as person), IPC 376 (gangrape) and IPC 302 (murder), the sources said.
"During interrogation Chetia confessed that he and the woman were in a relationship for the last two years but denied that he was involved in her killing," they said.
Meanwhile, as stated by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi yesterday, the Home Department today formed a Special investigation Team (SIT) to investigate into the incident that led to widespread protests and a district wide bandh.
According to the FIR filed in Boginadi police station, the woman on November 22 had boarded a shared tempo taxi to pick up her six-year old daughter from school at Boginadi area, about 14 km from Lakhimpur.
The FIR alleged that the woman was allegedly raped by the four men inside the tempo before they gorged out her eyes, injured her on the head and neck before throwing her out of the tempo about 50 meters away from Boginadi police station on the National Highway and sped away.
The Assam State Women Commission based on media reports has also taken up a suo moto case on the incident and is in touch with the police administration over the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail