Land deal with Bangladesh in Assam’s favour: CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
on Monday assured the assembly that the recently-signed land deal
with Bangladesh was beneficial for the people residing in
border areas of the state.
Allaying fears raised in the house during the one-day
special session convened to discuss the land deal signed
between the two countries last month, he said the state had
gained more than 1200 acres of disputed land on the border
Dismissing the charge of the Opposition All India United
Minority Democratic Front (AIUDF) and the Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) that the government had played into the hands of
Bangladesh and villagers had to part with their land, he said
only about 100 acres of land had to given to that country as a
part of the deal.
On the Opposition charge that the government did not take
into confidence the house before signing the important deal,
Gogoi said only a protocol had been signed which has to be
discussed and ratified by Parliament.
"In politics, diplomacy is not discussed. It is only
after the signing of the protocol the matter is taken up," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir