Land deal with Bangladesh in Assam’s favour: CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
on Monday assured the assembly that the recently-signed land deal
with Bangladesh was beneficial for the people residing in
border areas of the state.
Allaying fears raised in the house during the one-day
special session convened to discuss the land deal signed
between the two countries last month, he said the state had
gained more than 1200 acres of disputed land on the border
Dismissing the charge of the Opposition All India United
Minority Democratic Front (AIUDF) and the Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) that the government had played into the hands of
Bangladesh and villagers had to part with their land, he said
only about 100 acres of land had to given to that country as a
part of the deal.
On the Opposition charge that the government did not take
into confidence the house before signing the important deal,
Gogoi said only a protocol had been signed which has to be
discussed and ratified by Parliament.
"In politics, diplomacy is not discussed. It is only
after the signing of the protocol the matter is taken up," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack