Guwahati: Assam government on Friday decided to check the land records of all the displaced persons, who had to leave homes following recent ethnic clashes in lower Assam, before they are provided rehabilitation.
A decision is this regard was taken at a meeting of the Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by state Revenue Minister Prithibi Majhi.
"We have decided that only genuine Indian citizens would be rehabilitated and ensure that no illegal immigrants are able
to make use of the current situation to claim rehabilitation," Majhi told reporters after the meeting.
He said the government had fixed the date of September 6 by when land records of all the displaced persons would be checked.
Over 4.86 lakh people were forced out of their homes during the violence, which has also claimed 96 lives so far.
While around 2.5 lakh people have returned to their homes, the rest still reside in the camps.
"We will soon hold next round of meeting at Kokrajhar where the modalities would once again be discussed," Majhi said.
Earlier in the day, opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) sought the Prime Minister`s immediate intervention and necessary action for solving the present situation and restoration of peace in Assam.
Taking out a procession from its headquarters, AGP supporters submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister through the Kamrup (Metro) district Deputy Commissioner here.
Assam Additional Director General of Police (special operation unit) Pallab Bhattacharya said that the death toll in the recent violence was 96.
In Sibsagar, more than 5,000 people this afternoon took out a rally demanding immediate deportation of illegal Bangladeshi migrants from the state.