Large contingent of security forces in BTAD
Kokrajhar(Assam): A large contingent of security personnel have been deployed in trouble-torn Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts and neighbouring minority-dominated Dhubri to control the flare-up between Bodos and minority immigrants.
Official sources said today altogether 1300 army personnel - 13 columns with 100 personnel in each have been deployed in the affected districts, while 63 companies of para-military forces and 20 companies of BSF have been also deployed in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri.
The Indo-Bangla border had already been sealed and a high alert sounded following rumours in certain quarters.
BSF Assam Frontier Inspector General P K Bahal, camping in Dhubri, said patrolling along the sealed borders have been intensified and a strict vigil was being maintained.
Joint Secretary in Union Ministry of Home Affairs Sambhu Singh, scheduled to visit Dhubri today to review the situation in the district which has 136 km border, including 40 kms of riverine border, with Bangladesh.
Singh, who was in Kokrajhar yesterday, had said there was delay in deployment of army and lack of adequate forces in the districts initially.
"Initially, there was lack of forces in the area but now additional forces have been deployed and more are on their way, while the focus is now on confidence-building measures," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore