Lepchas to boycott Assembly polls
Siliguri: Lepchas, a scheduled tribe
community of the Darjeeling hills, would boycott the coming
Assembly elections protesting the alleged step-motherly
treatment meted out to them by the Centre and the state
The leader of an apolitical Lepcha organisation `Lepchas
of Darjeeling`, L S Tamsong Lepcha, today alleged that nearly
one lakh Lepchas residing in the three hill sub-divisions of
Darjeeling were living in an "inhuman" condition and announced
the community would boycott the assembly polls.
"Since Independence the villages they live in have seen
no development," Tamsong said while addressing a gathering of
the community here.
The general secretary of the organisation, Posong
Tshering Lepcha, said that the Census 2011 had put Lepcha
population at around 43,000, but actually their number is
minimum one lakh.
He said that though officially they had been accorded
the status of a scheduled tribe, they had hardly been given
any associated benefit or facility entitled to them.
Besides, neither the state government nor the Centre was
ready to listen to the demand for recognition of the Lepcha
language, though it had a different alphabet and a rich
literature, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof