LeT planning more attacks, warns Assam DGP
New Delhi: In what may call for strengthening the security mechanism, fresh intelligence input received by the authorities in Assam have warned that insurgent outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) is planning to carry out more attacks in Odisha and Northeastern states.
Reports, Tuesday, claimed that the latest intelligence inputs were received by the Assam Police, which immediately shared it with the central agencies, who immediately informed the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) about the latest security threats.
The input created ripples in the MHA and all the agencies have been put on maximum alert and the MHA has also asked the state governments in Orissa and Assam to take immediate precautionary measures.
Assam Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Choudhury told reporters that the state’s police is in touch with their counterparts in the bordering states to curb growing insurgent activities along the border.
Interestingly, Assam Police was also the first one to alert the authorities that LeT was planning to trigger off explosions in Puri in Orissa during the Rath Yatra festival as well as in Mumbai.
Though the LeT is yet to indulge in any act of violence in Assam, there are reports that the Islamic insurgent outfit is trying to make inroads in the Northeastern states and strengthening its cadre base.
There have been reports that the members of similar Islamic insurgent outfits have increased their activity throughout the state by taking advantage of the porous international border as the LeT and other such outfits still have strong bases in Bangladesh.
Reports also claimed that the LeT, which recruited a few youths from Assam in 2008, is again trying to recruit disillusioned Northeastern youths to join them in war against India.
Considering the gravity of the threat, security agencies have been put on alert and the Centre-state coordination has been increased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi