LeT planning more attacks, warns Assam DGP
New Delhi: In what may call for strengthening the security mechanism, fresh intelligence input received by the authorities in Assam have warned that insurgent outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) is planning to carry out more attacks in Odisha and Northeastern states.
Reports, Tuesday, claimed that the latest intelligence inputs were received by the Assam Police, which immediately shared it with the central agencies, who immediately informed the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) about the latest security threats.
The input created ripples in the MHA and all the agencies have been put on maximum alert and the MHA has also asked the state governments in Orissa and Assam to take immediate precautionary measures.
Assam Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Choudhury told reporters that the state’s police is in touch with their counterparts in the bordering states to curb growing insurgent activities along the border.
Interestingly, Assam Police was also the first one to alert the authorities that LeT was planning to trigger off explosions in Puri in Orissa during the Rath Yatra festival as well as in Mumbai.
Though the LeT is yet to indulge in any act of violence in Assam, there are reports that the Islamic insurgent outfit is trying to make inroads in the Northeastern states and strengthening its cadre base.
There have been reports that the members of similar Islamic insurgent outfits have increased their activity throughout the state by taking advantage of the porous international border as the LeT and other such outfits still have strong bases in Bangladesh.
Reports also claimed that the LeT, which recruited a few youths from Assam in 2008, is again trying to recruit disillusioned Northeastern youths to join them in war against India.
Considering the gravity of the threat, security agencies have been put on alert and the Centre-state coordination has been increased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter