Local people resent Assam Rifles to occupy land
Guwahati: The Assam Rifles` plan to occupy a piece of land in a wetland, located in the outskirts of the city, has run into protests by local people who said their
source of livelihood would be jeopardised.
The area where the para-military force plans to build a facility is known as Rani Development Block which forms a part of a wetland in Kamrup district.
An officer of the Block Development Office, Ranjan Dutta, said, ``If the land is allocated to the Assam Rifles, local people will have nothing to survive on as Rani Block is a green reserve providing them the means of sustenance.``
Several NGOs sent representations to the deputy commissioner`s office against the move to hand over the land by the Kamrup district administration, particularly after
senior minister and government spokesman Himanta Biswa Sarma had announced that wetlands would be protected.
The Assam rifles has already demarcated the area where it plans to set up the facility.
A resident of Rani Block, Bidyut Barman who also heads a local NGO, says that the land planned to be taken over by the Assam Rifles is very fertile and farmers have cultivated the area since ages without using any chemical fertiliser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves