Mahanta to fight Hazarika for AGP top post
Guwahati: Two time Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and fire brand MLA Padma Hazarika will vie for the party`s top post during the organisational polls on April 26.
Mahanta and Hazarika are the only candidates who have filed nomination for the AGP president`s post, party sources said.
This is the first time in the history of AGP, formed in 1985 after six-year-long anti-foreigners agitation in Assam, the party is holding organisational elections at all levels.
"We tried our best to build a consensus for president`s post. Since we have failed, I have decided neither to be a candidate nor to take part in the electoral process unless the serving president`s vote is required to break a tie, if happens," present President Chandra Mohan Patowary said.
AGP, out of power in the state since 2001, received a severe setback in the last assembly polls in 2011 when its strength fell to 10 MLAs in the 126-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?