Mahout killed by his elephant in Kaziranga
Jorhat: An Assam Forest Department Mahout was killed by an elephant in Kaziranga National Park, officials said Tuesday.
The elephant `Babul` suddenly threw his mahout Nirmal Barman off its back last night and trampled him to death in the Burapahar range of the park, said Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) D D Gogoi.
The elephant along with other jumbos carrying forest guards were on patrolling duty when the incident took place.
They were returning to their camp at Borholla inside KNP after recovering the carcass of a rhino that was killed by poachers and its horn removed, Gogoi said.
The cause for the sudden attack was being investigated and the pachyderm kept safely away from other animals.
Meanwhile, two rhinos were killed by poachers and their horns taken away yesterday in Bagori range and Burapahar range of the park.
In the first month of this year five rhinos from the park have been killed by poachers and their horns taken away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof