Mahout killed by his elephant in Kaziranga
Jorhat: An Assam Forest Department Mahout was killed by an elephant in Kaziranga National Park, officials said Tuesday.
The elephant `Babul` suddenly threw his mahout Nirmal Barman off its back last night and trampled him to death in the Burapahar range of the park, said Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) D D Gogoi.
The elephant along with other jumbos carrying forest guards were on patrolling duty when the incident took place.
They were returning to their camp at Borholla inside KNP after recovering the carcass of a rhino that was killed by poachers and its horn removed, Gogoi said.
The cause for the sudden attack was being investigated and the pachyderm kept safely away from other animals.
Meanwhile, two rhinos were killed by poachers and their horns taken away yesterday in Bagori range and Burapahar range of the park.
In the first month of this year five rhinos from the park have been killed by poachers and their horns taken away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?