Major eviction drive begins in Guwahati to clear water bodies
Guwahati: Following death of 11 persons in last week`s flood in the state capital following heavy rains, the government on Monday started a major eviction drive across the city to clear the wetlands.
Kamrup Metro district administration has been clearing the encroachments on both sides of the Bharalu river, the tributary flowing through the city, since this morning, Assam Commissioner and Secretary (Political) Prateek Hajela said.
Along with this, the administration is demolishing the illegal houses constructed on the Silsako lake in the city, he added.
"Our main objective is to clear the water flow route through the city. That is why we are targeting the Bharalu at the first step. Wetlands are also very important and so Silsako is being cleared," Hajela told reporters at the spot.
He ruled out giving any relief or temporary accommodation to the displaced people saying that it will not be done as they were encroachers on government land.
After this, the authorities will start eviction of illegal occupiers on the banks of Basistha river and on the hills surrounding the city, he added.
Kamrup Metro Additional Deputy Commissioner Bharat Bhushan Choudhury is leading the eviction drive in association with Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority and Guwahati Municipal Corporation.
A large number of police personnel are also present in all the places to avoid any resistance and untoward incidents.
So far, nearly 50 illegal houses have been demolished across different places in the city.
Besides, GMC has directed all government and private establishments to arrange dustbins in their premises and not to throw wastes in the Bharalu river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming