Maoist central committee member arrested in Guwahati
Guwahati: The Assam police on Friday arrested CPI(Maoist) Central Committee member Aklanta Rabha, his wife and another member of the outfit from here and Goalpara.
Rabha (41) and Siraj Rabha (35) alias Bijoy Rabha were picked up from Jorabat Charali on the outskirts of the city this morning, IGP (Central Western Region) LR Bishnoi said.
"Aklanta Rabha uses 10 aliases and is the sole Central Committee member from Assam in the CPI (Maoist)," Bishnoi said adding the arrest was made in joint operation with CRPF`s 175 battalion and Army`s Gajraj Intelligence unit.
Aklanta`s wife Rekha Rani Rabha, who runs a small shop, was arrested later from Goalpara district, he said.
Bishnoi said Aklanta had first formed a group, Rabha Security Force, in 1991 which was disbanded in 1996 and he joined the left-wing group.
Fluent in seven languages, Aklanta was trained in Jharkhand`s Gumla district and later he was asked to build up CPI (Maoist)`s organisational base in Assam.
The other cadre, Siraj Rabha, joined CPI(Maoist) in 2006 and was based in Jharkhand`s Giridih area since then. He was Central Training Instructor of the outfit and in-charge of the medical unit in the area.
While Aklanta is from Boko in Kamrup Rural district, Siraj belongs to Dudhnoi in Goalpara district.
A Spanish 0.22 mm pistol, a huge amount of bullets, four mobile phones, seven SIM cards, a PAN card, a driving license were seized from the two, Bishnoi said adding some of the SIM cards were procured from the shop of Aklanta`s wife.
A letter on the methods of building up base in Assam, written by CPI (Maoist) Upper Assam Leading Committee leader Aditya Bora was also recovered from Aklanta.
"The letter deals with methods and tactics to be adopted for building up base in Assam," Bishnoi said.
He said Aklanta, in-charge of the Lower Assam Leading Committee, and Siraj were going for a propaganda meeting with Khasi community people in the Assam-Meghalaya border.
During interrogation, Aklanta told the police that they had held five-six meetings among Khasi community people in the border area last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez