‘Maoists are latest insurgent element in Assam’
Guwahati: Assam Governor Janaki Ballav
Patnaik on Tuesday said Maoists were the latest insurgent elements
to have "silently intruded" into the region and established
strong links with the anti-talk faction of ULFA led by Paresh
Barua and the People`s Liberation Army of Manipur.
Delivering the valedictory address on the concluding
day of the two-day 21st conference of DGPs and IGPs of the
North Eastern region at the Raj Bhavan here, Patnaik expressed
concern over the fact that the Maoists had formed regional
committees for upper, central and lower Assam.
"They (Maoists) are mostly active in areas of Dhemaji,
and Tinsukia districts bordering lower Dibang and Lohit
districts of Arunachal Pradesh with the geographical location
of the area contributing to the proliferation of their
activities," he said.
"There is ample evidence of the Maoists sending their
cadres to Odisha and Jharkhand to undergo training under the
hardcore Maoist leadership there," he said.
"I understand Paresh Barua group of ULFA is in constant
negotiation with them and is willing to provide both
sophisticated arms and requisite funds," he said.
Referring to another area of concern, Patnaik said
the surrendered militants of Dima Halam Daoga (DHD), ULFA and
the NDFB were indulging in petty crimes like snatching and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?