‘Maoists are latest insurgent element in Assam’
Guwahati: Assam Governor Janaki Ballav
Patnaik on Tuesday said Maoists were the latest insurgent elements
to have "silently intruded" into the region and established
strong links with the anti-talk faction of ULFA led by Paresh
Barua and the People`s Liberation Army of Manipur.
Delivering the valedictory address on the concluding
day of the two-day 21st conference of DGPs and IGPs of the
North Eastern region at the Raj Bhavan here, Patnaik expressed
concern over the fact that the Maoists had formed regional
committees for upper, central and lower Assam.
"They (Maoists) are mostly active in areas of Dhemaji,
and Tinsukia districts bordering lower Dibang and Lohit
districts of Arunachal Pradesh with the geographical location
of the area contributing to the proliferation of their
activities," he said.
"There is ample evidence of the Maoists sending their
cadres to Odisha and Jharkhand to undergo training under the
hardcore Maoist leadership there," he said.
"I understand Paresh Barua group of ULFA is in constant
negotiation with them and is willing to provide both
sophisticated arms and requisite funds," he said.
Referring to another area of concern, Patnaik said
the surrendered militants of Dima Halam Daoga (DHD), ULFA and
the NDFB were indulging in petty crimes like snatching and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened