Maoists trying to set up bases in upper Assam: Centre
Guwahati: The Centre on Monday claimed that the Maoist extremists were focusing to set up bases in upper Assam, close to international border and this could create a "serious strategic security complication" to northeastern states.
Addressing a two-day seminar organised by the CDPS here, National Security Advisory Board member P C Haldar said that foreign forces inimical to India`s interest may use the Maoists as pawn to fulfil their agenda.
"In the northeast, Maoists` focus is on areas in upper Assam and a few pockets in the interior areas to set up bases. The choice of upper Assam and the adjoining areas assume added significance because of its proximity to international border and traditional ingress-egress routes of armed groups of the region to their bases in Myanmar," he said.
"Maoists` presence in this sensitive region has the potential of creating a serious strategic security complication," Haldar added.
Usually Maoists are attracted towards areas that allow an operational advantage due to jurisdictional division, he added.
The northeast has a history of trans-border dimension to its militancy problem and "the possibility of forces inimical to India using Maoists as a pawn would have to be factored in by the security establishment," he added.
Haldar also pointed out that there were reports of Maoists trying to forge links with existing armed militants of this region as stated by few linkmen.
He said that inclusive development is the key to solve the Maoists problem anywhere in the country.
"It is important to stress that our approach towards dealing with Maoists movement cannot wholly be based on the police and security forces. A combination of security measures and focused development will be necessary," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA
- Investor wealth surges by over Rs 2.69 lakh crore in three days