Media urged not to attach Paresh Barua to ULFA`s name
Guwahati: Paresh Baruah, leader of the anti-talk faction of the ULFA, on Sunday appealed to media organisations not to call the outfit after him.
The anti-talk faction is usually referred to in the media as the Paresh Baruah-led faction after the group led by Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa came overground to hold talks with the government to resolve the issue.
Paresh Baruah, in a statement e-mailed to PTI here -- pointed out that in recent times it has been noticed that mediapersons usually attach his name to refer to the outfit.
"I am not the head of ULFA but just a humble official of the outfit and our very identity is linked to that of the outfit," he pointed out.
The organisation is led by our Chairman Dr Abhijit Asom and ``we all follow directives issued by him``, he said.
"Moreover, neither the Chairman nor I have introduced any new aims, objectives, policies or ideologies but are committed to the original aims and objectives of the outfit adopted since its inception," he added.
The ULFA does not believe in a struggle spearheaded by a single individual and "I always tell my cadres that such a system can never bring any result or success to the movement".
"Therefore, it is my humble appeal to all mediapersons and people of Assam not to attach my name to the outfit," he added.
The anti-talk faction also took a decision earlier not to use their surnames but add the word `Asom` to their names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chennai-bound Oman Air flight makes emergency landing in Goa
- 'Baar Baar Dekho': Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma' breaks all records, rejoices 4.3 million views in 1 day!
- Govt hopes new civil aviation policy will encourage regional connectivity
- India's Security Council permanent seat hope receives setback
- Actors can do little to break away from stereotypes: Zakir Hussain