Medical Bill tabled in Assam Assembly
Guwahati: Doctors in the state will have to renew their registration every five years with their updated academic and professional credentials as per the Assam Medical Council (Amendment) Bill 2014 presented on Monday in the state Legislative Assembly.
As per a new section to be inserted in the Assam Medical Council Act 1999, "Every registered medical practitioner under the Council shall have to renew his registration at every five-year interval with his updated academic and professional credentials."
Any such renewal shall be granted upon payment of renewal fees and as may be prescribed and revised by the Council from time to time, the Bill added.
It has also included a point regarding the willingness to practice by non-Indian doctors passing out from foreign medical institutions.
"...Such doctors shall have to apply in writing to the Council with payment of such fees as may be prescribed and revised by the Council from time to time," it added.
The Bill further said an expert committee will look into the application and issue temporary certificate allowing him/her to practice for a specified period.
Besides an Ethical Committee of the Council will be set up by the President and it will function as per guidelines laid down by the Medical Council of India.
"If any doctor is found guilty of violation of ethics by the Ethical Committee, his/her registration may be withdrawn for a period of time as may be decided by the Ethical Committee," it said.
The Bill was presented in the Assam Legislative Assembly by the state Panchayat, Rural Development, Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain on behalf of the Education, Health and Family Welfare Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre