Medical student murder case: Fellow student arrested in Assam
Dibrugarh: A medical student was on Wednesday arrested for the murder of a fellow student at Assam Medical College Hospital here on the basis of the statement of a ward boy of the hospital.
Deepmoni Saikia, who was picked up last evening from among protesting junior doctors and students demanding justice for murdered student Sarita Tasniwal, was arrested during the day, Dibrugarh Superintendent Rana Bhuyan said at a press conference here.
Saikia who was arrested on circumstantial evidence, however, denied the charges, Bhuyan said.
A ward boy of the hospital, Kiru Mech, who was produced before the media, detailed how he and Saikia allegedly killed Tasniwal on Friday.
On the day, a nurse claimed to have seen Saikia in the hospital around 5.30 am when she was signing off from duty, the SP said.
Mech alleged that Saikia strangled Tasniwal when she was sleeping in a restroom in the hospital, put phenyl in her mouth and slit her throat with a surgical knife.
"Saikia did not give me any reason for the murder, but asked me to cooperate if I wanted my job to be made permanent," he alleged.
Saikia then took away Tasniwal`s mobile phone, he said.
A missed call from Saikia at 9:00 am the same day was found in Tasniwal`s phone, the SP said.
Records of phone calls between the two medical students for one month before April 24 were also found, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm