Meghalaya militant outfit chairman arrested in Assam
Shillong: Chairman of Meghalaya-based militant outfit UALA, Novembirth Ch Marak, was arrested Saturday from a hospital in Assam, a police official said.
"Novembirth alias Chiindik Marak is a prize catch for us in our operation against the UALA (United A`chik Liberation Army) which has been creating reign of terror in Garo Hills," Meghalaya police chief Peter Hanaman told IANS.
"A police team from Meghalaya is on its way to Assam to seek his transit remand," he said.
UALA is a splinter group of the breakaway faction of the Achik National Volunteers Council and is fighting for a separate Garoland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok