Meghalaya to help in arrest of Goalpara attackers
Shillong: Meghalaya on Tuesday assured "full cooperation" in arresting those who shot dead dead seven persons on the night of Diwali in neighbouring Goalpara district of Assam, hours before DGPs of both the states are scheduled to meet tomorrow.
"We assure full cooperation in arresting the culprits involved in the shootout in Goalpara on Diwali night," Home Minister Roshan Warjri told PTI.
Condemning the attack on the revellers, she said, "If the attackers are armed militants from Meghalaya, we will ensure that they face the law."
Suspected Garo National Liberation Army insurgents opened fire indiscriminately from automatic weapons on a group of people gambling on the occasion of Diwali on Sunday evening at remote Gendamari, killing six on the spot.
Another person succumbed to injuries on way to hospital while 10 others were seriously wounded.
Meghalaya director general of police PJP Hanaman will meet his Assam counterpart Jayanto N Choudhury tomorrow at Guwahati to discuss the shooting and adoption of steps for joint operations in areas along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir