Meghalaya to help in arrest of Goalpara attackers
Shillong: Meghalaya on Tuesday assured "full cooperation" in arresting those who shot dead dead seven persons on the night of Diwali in neighbouring Goalpara district of Assam, hours before DGPs of both the states are scheduled to meet tomorrow.
"We assure full cooperation in arresting the culprits involved in the shootout in Goalpara on Diwali night," Home Minister Roshan Warjri told PTI.
Condemning the attack on the revellers, she said, "If the attackers are armed militants from Meghalaya, we will ensure that they face the law."
Suspected Garo National Liberation Army insurgents opened fire indiscriminately from automatic weapons on a group of people gambling on the occasion of Diwali on Sunday evening at remote Gendamari, killing six on the spot.
Another person succumbed to injuries on way to hospital while 10 others were seriously wounded.
Meghalaya director general of police PJP Hanaman will meet his Assam counterpart Jayanto N Choudhury tomorrow at Guwahati to discuss the shooting and adoption of steps for joint operations in areas along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player