Metro rail in Guwahati soon
Guwahati: Guwahati will soon have Metro rail with the Centre approving Assam Government`s proposal for the mass transit system, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Thursday.
"The Government of India has accepted our Metro rail proposal and we have been informed yesterday that Rs 25 crore have been sanctioned for feasibility study of the project", Gogoi told reporters here.
"The total cost of the project will be Rs 1400 crore on a rough estimate and it will cover a total distance of 65 Km. This system will ease the traffic problem in the city, he said.
"In the first phase the area to be covered will be from LGB Airport to Narengi, in the second phase from Paltan bazar to Khanapara and the third phase will be from Khanapara to Jhalubari", he said.
The project would take five to six years to complete, but might require even more time due to the frequent rains here, he said.
The mass rapid transport system would also be extended to Guwahati`s neighbouring areas, including Rangia, Mirza, South Bank, he said.
Gogoi`s government was also keen to develop the river transport system by setting up a corporation if necessary as it daily transported a large number of passengers and goods.
For easing the congestion away from Guwahati, he said the Urban Planning Institute in Ahmedabad was engaged to do a study on it so that development works could be undertaken down to the block level where people would get employment and would not have to migrate to Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre