Metro rail in Guwahati soon
Guwahati: Guwahati will soon have Metro rail with the Centre approving Assam Government`s proposal for the mass transit system, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Thursday.
"The Government of India has accepted our Metro rail proposal and we have been informed yesterday that Rs 25 crore have been sanctioned for feasibility study of the project", Gogoi told reporters here.
"The total cost of the project will be Rs 1400 crore on a rough estimate and it will cover a total distance of 65 Km. This system will ease the traffic problem in the city, he said.
"In the first phase the area to be covered will be from LGB Airport to Narengi, in the second phase from Paltan bazar to Khanapara and the third phase will be from Khanapara to Jhalubari", he said.
The project would take five to six years to complete, but might require even more time due to the frequent rains here, he said.
The mass rapid transport system would also be extended to Guwahati`s neighbouring areas, including Rangia, Mirza, South Bank, he said.
Gogoi`s government was also keen to develop the river transport system by setting up a corporation if necessary as it daily transported a large number of passengers and goods.
For easing the congestion away from Guwahati, he said the Urban Planning Institute in Ahmedabad was engaged to do a study on it so that development works could be undertaken down to the block level where people would get employment and would not have to migrate to Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Gold price inches down on steady dollar, Fed rate hike remains on cards
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir after 51 days, restrictions continue in parts of Srinagar, Pulwama
- Unfazed by controversy, Haryana's Anil Vij says he would have donated more to Dera Sacha Sauda
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: What made Emraan Hashmi's ramp walk more special! – Details inside
- Heart attack and stroke prevention: Ways to reduce your risk!