Mild earthquake hits northeast India, epicentre in Assam
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Guwahati: Northeast India was rattled early Tuesday when a mild intensity earthquake measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale jolted the Darrang region of Assam. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage to property.
As per the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the quake, epicentre at latitude 26.3 degrees North and longitude 92.0 degrees East, occurred at 0653 hours at a focal depth of 16 km.
Besides Meghalaya and Assam, tremors were also felt in Manipur, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh.
India`s northeast is considered the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars