Militants attack goods train in Assam, traffic hit
Haflong: Traffic on Lumding-Silchar route in
Assam`s Cachar district was affected after unidentified Ultras
fired at a goods train on Wednesday, setting its engine on fire and
injuring the driver near Haflong in NC Hills district.
The insurgents fired from nearby hills on Down Jironia
goods train, carrying essential food items from Lumding to
Silchar, at a remote place between Lower Haflong and
Maigrendisa railway stations at about 1.30 pm, official
Driver P N Hazarika suffered bullet wounds on his thigh
and was admitted to the Haflong civil hospital, Northeast
Frontier Railway spokesman S Hajong said.
The incident led to fire breaking out in a part of the
engine but it was doused by railway and security personnel.
The metre gauge Hill Line between Lumding and Badarpur
to Silchar in Cachar district was closed as efforts were on to
remove the train by tonight, the sources said.
The identity of the insurgents is yet to be ascertained
and a search operation has been launched to track them,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS