Min brands `sisters` witches to grab land, HC orders CBI probe
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court has ordered a CBI inquiry into allegations against an Assam minister that he had branded two sisters as witches and harassed them in a bid to grab their land in Karbi Anglong district.
Chief Justice A K Goel and Justice Arup Kumar Goswami in an order stated that there appears to be a failure of duty by state functionaries concerned and directed the CBI to conduct the probe and submit its report within three months.
It was possible to draw inference against Hill Areas Development Minister Khorsing Engti for abuse of his position and commission of crime and, therefore, the matter might require appropriate investigation by some independent agency to uphold the rule of the law, the order given on January 22 said.
The High Court took up the case suo motu last year in cognisance of a letter dated May 4, 2012 written by two sisters Radhika Shah and Gayatri Shah to the Chief Justice alleging serious violation of their human rights by Engti.
The sisters also alleged that they were branded as witches and were accused of hiding skeletons and bones in their house to practise black magic.
They also complained that they were made to consume human excreta and stripped before villagers.
The sisters had alleged that they have been subjected to physical and mental torture for the past six years by Engti who wanted to grab their land, which is adjacent to his residence in Howraghat police station area in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore