Ministers sent to Karbi Anglong to restore peace
Diphu: Two Assam ministers have been sent by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to Karbi Anglong to hold discussions with political parties and restore peace in the district, rocked by violence over the separate statehood demand.
Prithibi Majhi and Rajib Lochan Pegu arrived here during the day and held a meeting with different political parties of the district and high officials, official sources said.
Majhi, who is minister for revenue and disaster management, labour and employment and tea tribes welfare later told newsmen that they had assured the political leaders that their demand for a separate state within state under Article 244(A) would be conveyed to Gogoi and the central government.
The meeting decided that peace meetings would be held in different parts of the district with different communities to prevent further escalation of the situation, he said.
The ministers held discussions with the Disrict Autonomous Council members, leaders of the local Hills State Democratic Party (HSDP) and opposition CPI-ML.
Majhi said the Karbi Anglong deputy commissioner, superintendent of police, besides parliamentary secretaries Etuwa Munda and Bidya Sing Engleng were also present in the meeting.
In view of the discussions HSDP decided to defer its 100-hour Karbi Angong and Dima Hasao bandh in the twin hill districts from August 05.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown