Mobs clash with police in Morigaon over death of a person
Morigaon: Irate armed mobs angered by the death of a person clashed with police in central Assam`s Morigaon town leading to injury to five persons and police resorting to blank-firing and lathi-charge on Thursday.
An angry mob armed with bamboo and iron rods ransacked a hotel and attacked its employees and people there alleging one Sariful Haque (38), a handyman, had died today after he was assaulted by some staff members about ten days back, police said.
Five persons, including a child, were injured.
Police rushed and resorted to lathicharge to disperse the violent mob that pelted stones and attacked the police and public with bamboo and iron rods.
Another angry armed mob carrying Haque`s body gheraoed Morigaon police station and engaged in skirmishes with the security personnel there.
To control the situation, police burst tear gas shells, lathicharged and fired several rounds in the air, they said.
District superintendent of police Ainul Haque told that though tension prevailed in the areas the situation was brought under control.
Yesterday, police had to resort to lathicharge and open blank fire to control a mob, which became violent after a health department squad along with local magistrate sealed a fake pharmacy of a self-styled doctor Dildar Hussain at Lahorighat.
Following this, an irate mob gheraoed the police station, attacked the magistrate and pelted stones injuring Lahorighat Circle Officer Gunajit Das and two policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what