More than 100 fall ill after consuming gram in Assam

Last Updated: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 18:01

Jorhat (Assam): More than 100 people fell ill after consuming gram during a meeting in Majuli, the world`s largest river island, in Assam`s Jorhat district, official sources said on Monday.

People had consumed the gram served during a meeting held last evening also attended by Assam Water Resources Minister Rajib Lochan Pegu, and complained of uneasiness, vomiting and dysentery since last night.

At least 120 people were taken to Pitambar Deva Goswami Health Centre, where 15 of them were referred to Jorhat MedicalCollege and 65 of them were still under treatment while the rest were released after initial treatment.

Jorhat Joint Direct of Health Dr Sarat Chandra Das said that this was case of food poisoning caused by the contaminated gram which has been sent for laboratory test.

The meeting was held in view of today`s Mishing Autonomous Council election.

PTI



First Published: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 18:01

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus