Muslim votes a key factor in Karimganj electoral battle
Karimganj (Assam): Muslim votes are expected
to be a deciding factor in at least four of the five Assembly
constituencies in south Assam`s sensitive Karimganj district,
bordering Bangladesh, which goes to poll on April 4 in the
As many as 62 per cent of the 1,41,941-strong electorate
in South Karimganj Assembly seat are Muslims and their votes
will determine the outcome of the election, observers say.
The constituency is set to witness a triangular contest
between sitting Congress MLA and parliamentary secretary Sidiq
Ahmed, Sipra Gun, BJP nominee and vice-president of All-India
Yuva Morcha, and Iqbal Hussain of the Trinamool Congress.
Although Gun is virtually out of the race, Hussain, a
dissident Congressman, is expected to give a stiff fight to
Ahmed as he is regarded to be a strong contender by virtue of
being a close confidant of minister Gautam Roy.
Hussain, after being denied a Congress ticket, joined the
"In the last five years, I have nurtured my constituency
like a mother does for her child and I am very optimistic,"
In neighbouring Badarpur constituency, as many as 58 per
cent of the 1,28,650-strong electorate are Muslims, and the
race will be confined to the Congress, All India United
Democratic Front (AIUDF) and BJP nominees.
Congress` Jamaluddin is pitted against AIUDF`s Halauddin
Choudhury and BJP`s Biswarup Bhattacharjee.
The sitting MLA of Congress is Anwarul Haque and although
he sought re-nomination, much to his dismay, the party decided
to shift him to Borkhola constituency of neighbouring Cachar
Promising not to harm the prospects of the Congress
candidate, Haque claimed he had bright chances of sweeping the
In the North Karimganj constituency, there are 48 per
cent Muslims among 1,57,152 voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter