Narayanan willing to talk to GJM
Kolkata: A day after refusing to mediate on the Gorkhaland issue, West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan Thursday said he "was willing to talk to the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leadership".
"If he wants to talk to me, I will talk to him," said Narayanan on media queries whether he would engage in a dialogue with GJM chief Bimal Gurung.
Narayanan also hoped for an amicable solution to the issue of a separate Gorkhaland state for which the GJM has been agitating.
"I hope some kind of discussion between the parties (GJM and the West Bengal government) emerges so we may have a solution without recourse to violence," added Narayanan.
Narayanan Wednesday had ruled out any mediation.
"Governors don`t mediate. If I was not a governor, then may be in my earlier avatars, I could have but as a governor I can`t," the former national security advisor had said.
The GJM has ruled out any dialogue with the state government saying the matter concerned the central government and they would talk only with the Delhi leadership.
Life in North Bengal`s Darjeeling hills has been paralysed following an indefinite shutdown by the GJM started Aug 3 to press for a separate Gorkhaland state.
While the Calcutta High Court has declared the shutdown illegal, the state government has been cracking down on the movement arresting key Morcha leaders and supporters.
The GJM, meanwhile, has relaxed the shutdown for four days, beginning Thursday.
The Gorkhaland movement for a separate state - to be carved out of parts of Darjeeling and its neighbouring Jalpaiguri district - has left many dead over the past two-and-half decades, besides affecting the region`s economy chiefly based on tea, timber and tourism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing