Narendra Modi only has speed of talking, but I have speed of development: Gogoi
Guwahati: Attacking Narendra Modi for his claims on development in Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his state had witnessed a much higher growth compared to Gujarat.
"Assam`s growth was 13 percent in 2012-13, while it was 8.52 percent in Gujarat. Modi only has speed of talking, but I have speed of development," he said on the floor of the Assembly during discussion on the Governor`s address.
"...People say that Gujarat is developing and Assam is not. If Gujarat is so developed, then why are people there seeking jobs under MGNREGA? As per records, 30 lakh people have job cards under this scheme in Gujarat," he said.
"...And Modi comes here and says that we have given jobs to only 10,000 people," he said.
Accepting that Assam was lagging behind Gujarat in the overall development index, Gogoi, however, asserted that his state`s growth was much higher than the western state.
On February 8, Modi had addressed a public rally in Guwahati and said only 10,018 persons had got jobs under the MGNREGA scheme out of 12 lakh people registered in the state.
On February 10, Gogoi had taken on Modi saying he was "irresponsible" and had made "wrong statements" at his rally here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail