Narendra Modi only has speed of talking, but I have speed of development: Gogoi
Guwahati: Attacking Narendra Modi for his claims on development in Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his state had witnessed a much higher growth compared to Gujarat.
"Assam`s growth was 13 percent in 2012-13, while it was 8.52 percent in Gujarat. Modi only has speed of talking, but I have speed of development," he said on the floor of the Assembly during discussion on the Governor`s address.
"...People say that Gujarat is developing and Assam is not. If Gujarat is so developed, then why are people there seeking jobs under MGNREGA? As per records, 30 lakh people have job cards under this scheme in Gujarat," he said.
"...And Modi comes here and says that we have given jobs to only 10,000 people," he said.
Accepting that Assam was lagging behind Gujarat in the overall development index, Gogoi, however, asserted that his state`s growth was much higher than the western state.
On February 8, Modi had addressed a public rally in Guwahati and said only 10,018 persons had got jobs under the MGNREGA scheme out of 12 lakh people registered in the state.
On February 10, Gogoi had taken on Modi saying he was "irresponsible" and had made "wrong statements" at his rally here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- African nationals targetted: Delhi Police rule out hate crime angle, say 'attacks were not racial in nature'
- African nationals targetted: Delhi cops arrest five persons, detain four others
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!