National Council of Churches visits Assam camps
Shillong: A team of the National Council of Churches in India (NCCI) on Monday began their two-day visit to the relief camps in Assam`s Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri to take stock of the situation and to express solidarity with the victims of violence.
Led by Solomon Rongpi, the executive secretary for Unity, Mission & Evangelism, the nine-member NCCI team has representatives from the Presbyterian Churches of India, the Young Women Christian Association, the Lutheran Church and others.
"Today we visited four major camps in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts," Rongpi told a news agency.
He said the team would visit a major camp tomorrow before winding up their visit.
"We have seen how other churches and the NGOs render their services to the people in need at the camps," he said.
The team would send a report to the NCCI for extending any help to the affected people on behalf of the Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event