National Council of Churches visits Assam camps
Shillong: A team of the National Council of Churches in India (NCCI) on Monday began their two-day visit to the relief camps in Assam`s Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri to take stock of the situation and to express solidarity with the victims of violence.
Led by Solomon Rongpi, the executive secretary for Unity, Mission & Evangelism, the nine-member NCCI team has representatives from the Presbyterian Churches of India, the Young Women Christian Association, the Lutheran Church and others.
"Today we visited four major camps in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts," Rongpi told a news agency.
He said the team would visit a major camp tomorrow before winding up their visit.
"We have seen how other churches and the NGOs render their services to the people in need at the camps," he said.
The team would send a report to the NCCI for extending any help to the affected people on behalf of the Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official
- Mamata Banerjee sworn-in as West Bengal CM: As it happened
- Haryana DGP says common man has right to take criminal's life. Read his shocking views here
- Taliban leader Mullah Mansour was living under ISI protection
- Modi ministers on UP visit from today for 'NDA outreach' program