NDFB cadres killed, seven Kuki rebels nabbed in Assam
Guwahati: In an early-morning swoop on Thursday, security forces gunned down two hardcore militants belonging to the anti-talk faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
Police said that two of their own men sustained injuries in the shoot-out. The injured policemen were reported to be out of danger.
"Acting on a tip-off, Assam Police commandos launched an operation at Tarabari. Seeing the police commandos, the militants fired at the police party. This forced the police to retaliate. In the ensuing exchange of fire, two NDFB cadres were killed," said Sonitpur Superintendent of Police Arabinda Kalita.
Police said one of the slain militants has been identified as Gourang, and the other has yet to be identified.
"The identified militant was involved in the killing of tea planter Adilur Rahman in November last year," the police superintendent said, adding that the cadre was also involved in several cases of extortion and other anti-social cases in the district.
In another incident in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district, police Thursday arrested seven cadres of the Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA).
Police in Karbi Anglong district said that all seven were arrested from Saijan area under Dilai police station in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Centre releases 25 more files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
- Indian Premier League, Match 26: Delhi Daredevils vs Kolkata Knight Riders - Preview
- Banks to auction Kingfisher logo, ‘Fly with Good Times’ trademarks tomorrow
- Indian Premier League, Match 27: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - Preview
- NEET first phase will be held on May 1; Supreme Court declines Centre's plea, says let the exams go on