NEC to build hostels in Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune
Shillong: As part of confidence building measure for students and professionals of the NE region in Karnataka and Maharashtra, the North Eastern Council (NEC) has decided to build hostels to accommodate youths from the region in Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune and Mysore.
Constituted in 1971 by an Act of Parliament, the NEC is the nodal agency for economic and social development of the region consisting of eight states -- Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
"We are building a 1700-seated hostel for both boys and girls in Bangalore in collaboration with the University of Bangalore," NEC secretary UK Sangma told reporters on Monday.
The hostel for students studying in various colleges affiliated to the University would be built at its Jnana Bharathi Campus, he said.
The University would have special security arrangement for NE students, said the university`s registrar, Mylarappa.
The university currently has 9000 students from NE, mostly from Manipur, in about 200 colleges affiliated to it.
Apart from Bangalore, the NEC has expressed its desire to build hostels in Mumbai, Pune and Mysore.
He said the NEC has initiated works on construction of a 500-seat girls` hostel in Delhi University in collaboration with the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
While a 501-seated working women`s hostel was also constructed at Jasola, Delhi, in association with the Ministry of Women & Child Development at a cost of Rs 17.44 crore, a 70-seat students` home for women was built at BB Marg, Delhi.
A 500-seat women`s hostel at South Campus of the Delhi University for NE students is under consideration, he said.
A North East Cultural Centre was set up in Centre for Cultural Resources and Training, New Delhi, to make people aware of the cultural heritage of NE states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28