New Guwahati Archbishop
Guwahati: Reverend John Moolachira will be
the new Archbishop of Guwahati Diocese and will take charge on
He will succeed Archibishop Thomas Menamparampil who
retired earlier this year.
"Rev Moolachira has already taken over as Archbishop of
Guwahati on January 12 last but his formal Episcopal
Installation will take place on March 4," Vicar General of
Guwahati Archdiocese Fr Verghese Kizhakevely told reporters.
The Guwahati Archdiocese, created in 1992, covers the
districts of Nagaon, Goalpara, Kamrup, Bongaigaon, Morigaon
and parts of Baksa.
Kizhakevely said Kerala-born Moolachira, who has served
as the Bishop of Diphu, will take forward various social
projects and peace initiatives launched by his predeccesor.
Moolachira was born in Puthuserrykadavu in Kerala in
1951 and had studied in Chennai, Pune and Shillong before
being ordained as a priest in 1978.
In 2005, he was sent to the Vatican for a doctorate in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Those with illegal money to be prosecuted: Jaitley on Panama Papers
- 10 killed in Bangladesh poll violence
- Watch: Now make a call just by squeezing your smartphone!
- Life beyond cricket: Humanist Rohit Sharma visits orphanage after IPL stint
- Delhi court reserves order on criminal complaint against Arvind Kejriwal