NH 37 blocked over demand for panchayat polls
Rangiya: The National Highway 37
leading to the Lokopriyo Gopinath Bordoloi International
Airport in Assam`s Kamrup (Rural) district on Monday was blocked
over a demand for holding panchayat elections.
Over 1000 members of the Non-Tribal Protection Council
and Garo Jatiya Parishad blocked the highway at Bamunigaon
demanding panchayat elections in Garo dominated areas and also
not to include Garo and non-tribal villages in the Rabha
The protestors were taken into preventive custody
when they refused to withdraw the blockade and later released,
the police said.
Traffic was disrupted for over an hour but later
resumed, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam