NH 37 blocked over demand for panchayat polls
Rangiya: The National Highway 37
leading to the Lokopriyo Gopinath Bordoloi International
Airport in Assam`s Kamrup (Rural) district on Monday was blocked
over a demand for holding panchayat elections.
Over 1000 members of the Non-Tribal Protection Council
and Garo Jatiya Parishad blocked the highway at Bamunigaon
demanding panchayat elections in Garo dominated areas and also
not to include Garo and non-tribal villages in the Rabha
The protestors were taken into preventive custody
when they refused to withdraw the blockade and later released,
the police said.
Traffic was disrupted for over an hour but later
resumed, sources added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living