NH 37 blocked over demand for panchayat polls
Rangiya: The National Highway 37
leading to the Lokopriyo Gopinath Bordoloi International
Airport in Assam`s Kamrup (Rural) district on Monday was blocked
over a demand for holding panchayat elections.
Over 1000 members of the Non-Tribal Protection Council
and Garo Jatiya Parishad blocked the highway at Bamunigaon
demanding panchayat elections in Garo dominated areas and also
not to include Garo and non-tribal villages in the Rabha
The protestors were taken into preventive custody
when they refused to withdraw the blockade and later released,
the police said.
Traffic was disrupted for over an hour but later
resumed, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Haji Ali Dargah case: Expect a 'pro women' verdict from Bombay HC, says Trupti Desai
- Lenovo Vibe K5 2nd flash sale today; get it at Rs 6,999
- Rahul Gandhi condemns Istanbul airport attack, dubs it as ''cowardly attack on innocents''
- Watch: Meet Cozmo, a tiny robot with big brain and bigger personality!
- Hrithik Roshan escapes Istanbul attacks, reaches India safely!