NIA picks up Maoist in Assam for striking deal wit
New Delhi: Continuing with its probe to expose nexus between northeast terror groups and Naxals, NIA has arrested a Maoist in Assam who was allegedly involved in a conspiracy to strike a deal with banned People`s Liberation Army for waging a war against the country.
According to an official spokesperson, Pallab Borbora alias Profull was arrested from Golaghat district of Assam on Sunday evening for allegedly playing a "crucial" role in ensuring a nexus between PLA and Naxalites.
With this arrest, six persons have been nabbed. Of them, three have been produced before a designated court in Guwahati after being chargesheeted.
Though NIA was officially tight-lipped about his role, sources in the probe agency alleged that Borbora was the key person who facilitated meetings between PLA and Maoists.
He is also alleged to be in the decision-making process of fixing training modules and venues for Naxals, they said.
NIA had filed on May 21 its charge sheet, which is the first documentary evidence submitted before a court of a nexus between northeast insurgents and Maoists.
The charge sheet was filed before the designated court of NIA in Guwahati against N Dilip Singh, Senjam Dhiren Singh alias Raghu and Arnold Singh under various sections of Unlawful (Activities) Prevention Act.
The NIA then arrested Asem Ibotombi Singh alias Angou of PLA from Odisha as he was alleged to have been functioning as `secretary` of its `External Affairs Wing`.
It is alleged that PLA had imparted training in handling of fire arms and communication devices to Maoist cadres in Saranda forest on Jharkhand-Odisha border in 2010.
On May 23, the NIA had taken custody of Indranil Chanda, an alleged Naxal leader arrested by the West Bengal Police. He was in-charge of Maoist activities in Assam and key liaison between Maoists and PLA, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH