NLFT insurgent killed in Tripura encounter
Agartala: An insurgent of outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura was killed in an encounter with Tripura State Rifles (TSR) personnel at Majhimanipara, a remote tribal hamlet in Dhalai district, police said Monday.
Police said, a TSR contingent was fired upon by a group of ultras hiding in a bush at Majhimanipara, near the Indo-Bangla border, about 30 from Raisyabari police station last evening.
The TSR personnel retaliated and the ultras escaped after a 30-minute encounter.
During a search operation, the TSR team found a bullet- riddled body of an insurgent, two grenades, one AK-47 rifle with 50 live cartridges and receipt of subscriptions.
Police suspect that there were six-seven insurgents in the group which managed to flee to Mayani reserve forest in Chittagong Hill Tract of Bangladesh after the encounter.
The identity of the insurgent is yet to be known.
The police said the ultras were collecting subscriptions forcibly from the villagers.
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary