No change of guard in Assam under pressure: Congress
New Delhi: Unfazed by the dissidence in Assam against Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Congress high command on Thursday signalled that there was unlikely to be any change under pressure and no deadlines could be given to the leadership.
"There is nothing in all this speculation. The high command will take a decision in the matter," Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said suggesting that the high command cannot be taken into rushing into any hasty decision.
He was asked whether a change of guard is likely to take place in Assam ahead of the Assembly session there early next month.
Replying to questions, he also dismissed speculation that party Vice President Rahul Gandhi was not allowing any decision to be taken on the leadership issue in Assam.
He said senior leader Mallikarjun Kharge was sent there as Central Observer and his report was with the high command.
His remarks came on a day when dissident Congress MLAs in Assam stepped up pressure on the state party leadership, urging the high command to resolve the ongoing crisis in the state unit by the end of the present week.
The dissidents claim that 55 of the 77 Congress MLAs had demanded a change in the leadership of Gogoi though there were several other issues which they had placed before Kharge like the law and order situation and statehood demands in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!