No development in Assam in past 11 years: BJP
Tezpur: BJP has accused the ruling Congress in Assam of being involved in "siphoning off" money allotted for development projects under the `panchayati raj` system during the past 11 years.
Though the Panchayati raj system is for the rural development, it has not happened during the last 11 years of Congress regime as the ruling party indulged in mismanagement and corruption instead of undertaking projects, state BJP President Sarbananda Sonowal claimed.
"Development of rural areas and the tea gardens through proper implementation of panchayati raj system in the state is our main objective for coming panchayat polls," he said.
Addressing a public meeting at Thelamara Bapuji Bhawan, around 20 km from here, last evening, the BJP leader said his party is committed to developing Assam and making the state free from illegal Bangladeshi immigrants.
The Congress government has always been partial to Bangladeshi immigrants for "gaining support in the elections", he alleged.
This has led to a situation where the safety and security of Indian citizens and the sovereignty of the country has been threatened, he said.
"At any cost we will have to make our lands free from the clutch of the infiltrators and BJP is firm that one day people of this region and the country as well will feel the need of a common effort in this concern," he added.
Slamming Assam Chief minister Tarun Gogoi, the BJP leader said, "It is a matter of serious concern that our Chief Minister cannot show courage to take action against these Bangladeshis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder