No division of Assam: Governor
Diphu: Assam Governor J B Patnaik on Friday ruled out any division of the state and said the autonomous councils were capable of taking care of development in the districts.
"Assam will not be divided. There is no necessity for separate states as all the ethnic groups can be represented in the Autonomous Councils which can take care of the development activities", Patnaik told reporters when asked about various ethnic groups` demand for separate states carved out of Assam.
Laying emphasis on the Panchayati Raj system for bringing about development at the grassroot level, he said separate states were not needed if more funds and power were given to the districts for their and ethnic groups development.
Earlier the Governor inaugurating the academic building of the Assam University Diphu campus here said he would make all efforts for converting the campus at Diphu into full fledged university.
The Diphu campus, the second one of the central university, was started in July 2007 with 64 students and today has 370 students enrolled in its nine academic departments, the University sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?